- 1 cup tri-color quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder, or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 link chorizo, crumbled (I used Soyrizo)
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels, frozen or canned
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime, optional
- Garnish: 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced --- sour cream --- scallions --- cheese shreds --- cilantro (I dug in before I took a pic with the garnishes!! oops)
In a large saucepan, cook quinoa according to package instructions; set aside.
Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
Stir in quinoa, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and 1-2 cups water, making sure to cover most of the ingredients; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, until thickened, about 30 minutes.
Stir in beans, corn, cilantro and lime juice, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Serve immediately with avocado, if desired.